What does P.A.R.T. do?
The Marion County Youth Coalition uses a two-pronged approach to prevention:
1. To Empower the community to make healthy decisions
2. Help prevent youth from becoming burdened by alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
How do youth in this coalition make a difference?
If you speak with the teens of P.A.R.T., you will see an impressive level of commitment to prevention and change.
"We, the Marion County youth coalition, are committed to an alcohol, tobacco and drug free lifestyle. We have been trained in the following evidence based, nationally recognized programs:
- Alcohol Literacy Challenge
- NIDA's IQ Challenge
- Natural Helpers' Peer Educators
- Refusal Skills and Evidence Based Kernals
In 2016, P.A.R.T. successfully worked toward the bigger goal of bringing all three high schools in Marion County together in a united effort. The coalition meets at a rotating site each month.
Using multiple prevention strategies, P.A.R.T. works together to provide information to the community about alcohol and drugs, attend prevention education trainings, and change community processes.
In 2019, P.A.R.T. has discussed strategies such as:
- Alternative Activities for youth in the community such as picnics, bonfires, pottery making, and rock decorating.
- Information dissemination in the form of pamphlets, posters, and brochures in the community
- Impacting Community Processes by attending the Marion County Adult Coalition meetings, assisting with prevention education conferences, attending Town Hall meetings, and volunteering in various ways in the community
- Increasing their prevention education by being trained in programs like Too Good For Drugs, Alcohol Literacy Challenge, EverFi, and Refusal Skills
- Environmental strategies such as Tobacco Compliance Checks and working to establish Smoke-Free zones in communities
- Getting youth who are addicted or troubled the help they need trough problem identification and referral
By engaging in the community and using prevention strategies that work, Marion County's P.A.R.T. Youth Coalition is focused on efforts to CREATE healthy choices to be PART of the SOLUTION!
P.A.R.T. Youth Coalition is a valuable asset of Project SUCCESS which is funded by a grant from the US Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, and the WV Department of Health and Human Resources Bureau for Behavioral Health.